Fort Payne Chapter

National Society  Daughters of The American Revolution

District IV

Naperville, Illinois

Home

About Us

Contact Us

Chapter Officers

Chapter History

Meeting Calendar

Patriot Ancestors

Charter Members

Chapter Chairwomen

 

 

Past Regents

Membership Eligibility

Offsite Links

Chapter History

             During the Black Hawk War, the settlers of Naper Settlement [present day Naperville] had to flee about twenty-nine miles east to Fort Dearborn near the shores of Lake Michigan for safety from Chief Black Hawk and his warriors.

             On their return journey, they asked for assistance to build a fort closer to their homes and near Naper Settlement.  On June 7, 1832, a company of militia of about fifty volunteers from Danville, under the command of Captain Morgan L. Payne, was dispatched by General Atkinson to build a fort in Naperville.  A stockade of about one hundred feet square was constructed, with pickets dug into the ground on two diagonal corners.   Captain Payne was so popular with his men that it was decided to name the fort in his honor.

             Fort Payne was located on the present day grounds of Merner Fieldhouse of North Central College of Naperville.

             In January of 1927, nearly one hundred years after the construction of Fort Payne, an interest to initiate a preservation project, known as the Hobson Mill Preservation Project to honor an early resident of Naper Settlement, also evolved into a movement to establish a society in Naperville, as a chapter of the National Society Daughters of The American Revolution.

             On February 13, 1928, the Fort Payne Chapter of the National Society of Daughters of The American Revolution was organized with twenty-two charter members.  The Charter was then confirmed by the National Board on May 19, 1928.